Friday, July 31, 2009

What We Lose

"How much of human life is lost in waiting."

It's almost as if Ralph Waldo Emerson knew how I'd start my blog, when he first in 1982 began writing Essay & Lectures. The truth is that the quote doesn't describe me in any way, rather it gives a good illustration of what has become of my writing. It's not that I've spent my entire life waiting; as a matter of fact I've accomplished a lot so far. I've managed to rebuild houses in New Orleans, empirically rule a region, accomplish flight as an Eagle (Scout), get lost in Moscow, and watch the sun rise without falling. The problem is that I've ignored my English teachers my entire life, and only now do I realize what I've been missing; a record.


It's not me doing the waiting, it's the world watching me grow up. If only I learned sooner that there's something called "blogger.com" four or five years ago would the epic tale of my midnight stroll in New Orleans be published chronologically. Or my perspective of how a juvenile "impulsively grabbed" a teacher's ID card. The lost opportunity to change this world has scarred me in a motivational way. From now on I should take this blog on each adventure I experience, whether it be a grocery expedition or a midnight road trip to Sonics.

My name is David Friedland, and from here on out I both challenge myself, the author, and you, the reader to go steady with the whole "posting, reading" relationship. Who knows what we can accomplish when I rant and you criticize! After all, Abraham Lincoln was only as good as a president as his cabinet members disdained him. And without Caesar's empire, we wouldn't know today why the Myanmar government must be impeded.

Whether it be night or day, rain or shine, wifi or infernet, I vow to post whatever excites me in my life. Be warned, no detail shall be spared.

No comments:

Post a Comment